ED Shockwave therapy is an innovative medical treatment that uses low intensity acoustic sound waves in an attempt to address the vascular cause of erectile dysfunction, and not just its symptoms. For over 50 years shockwave therapy has been used to treat everything from kidney stones, to joint pain, and now erectile dysfunction. It is a safe and natural procedure which does not involve the use of pharmaceuticals, mechanical pumps, injections or surgical implants.
For many men who have been unsuccessful with other impotence treatments or who have health conditions that limit their options, EDSWT could be a viable option.
EDSWT is currently considered an investigational treatment modality for ED according to 2018 erectile dysfunction guideline by American Urological Association.
It is approved by Health Canada.
Potential Benefits and Risks Of EDSWT
There are numerous scientific studies that show Shockwave therapy can potentially improve local revascularization of the penis. The aim of EDSWT is to trigger regeneration of blood vessels in the penile shaft to support stronger, longer, and more satisfying erections.
Erectile Dysfunction Shockwave Therapy is generally a painless treatment that can potentially help men regain sexual desire and satisfaction. For men with health conditions that prohibit using pills, EDSWT is a welcome opportunity to address impotence without major risk. Health conditions typically increase as we age, but EDSWT can be offered as a treatment for men of any age.
Potential Benefits of EDSWT Include :
- Improving the quality of erections, making them stronger, longer lasting, firmer, and more satisfying
- Enhancement of penile sensation
- Increased penile girth and length
- Shortened time that it takes to get erect again after sex
- A low-risk treatment which is generally painless and non-invasive
- No known extra major risk to men with complicated health conditions
Regarding risks for this treatment, based on the available data, there is minimal evidence to support the risks of major side effects occurring with shockwave therapy.
What Does Treatment Look Like?
Typically, a full treatment schedule involves 12 visits to Pollock Clinics over the course of 9 weeks (two treatments per week for 3 weeks, a break of 3 weeks and another two treatments per week for the last 3 weeks).
Each treatment lasts approximately 15-20 minutes.
All assessments and treatments are conducted in a discrete and professional manner – we respect your privacy.
Do I Need a Physician Referral In Order To Book?
No. If you are interested in proceeding, you may book directly with our clinic.
During the initial visit we will confirm your eligibility for the treatment.
What To Expect During Treatment
Treatment is delivered with the Medispec ED1000 machine which that directs the energy waves to the penile shaft. Patients are asked to remove their clothing below the waist.
Our doctor or technician will move a wand over the base and shaft of the penis, focusing energy waves on the arteries in the corpora cavernosa.
Patients usually do not experience significant pain or discomfort during the treatment. Some may feel tingling afterwards – like you might after your hand or foot falls sleep.
EDSWT takes under a half hour, making the appointment easy to schedule. There is no downtime or recovery period and you can return to sexual activity immediately.
About the Medispec ED1000 Machine
There are various types of shockwave therapy machines available for this treatment. At Pollock Clinics, we use the Medispec ED1000 machine for many significant reasons:
- The Medispec ED1000 machine is the only FDA plus Health Canada-approved and uniquely designed shockwave machine for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
- It has strong body of evidence supporting its effectiveness and safety. Please see articles linked below.
- Some Shockwave machines used by other clinics to treat ED were designed for treating joints and tendons and not ED.
- There are other key differences between the Medispec ED1000 machine and its treatment protocol compared to other machines. The Medispec ED1000 uses a highly effective shock-head (applicator) that applies the therapeutic waves to a larger surface area and its waves penetrate to almost 4 times deeper into erectile tissue. In addition, Medispec ED1000 uses a shock wave intensity of 0.09 mJ/mm2 which is the intensity needed to achieve the highest therapeutic effect. Higher shock wave intensities, used by other machines, have been shown to cause more cell death and fibrosis (scar tissue) than a healthy viable erectile tissue. As a result of all these critical and fine-tuning features, the ED1000 machine generates virtually painless shockwaves and results in more profound therapeutic outcome.
- The available data show that the efficacy of MedispecED1000 is as high or higher than any shock wave machine in use today. Studies support that response rates can reach beyond 70% and the result lasts beyond 2 years post treatment completion in many patients.
Goals of ED Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave therapy helps improve the volume of blood flow into tissue with the goals of helping you achieve harder, longer-lasting erections.
Other treatments for ED, including pills only address the symptoms of the condition, and require significant planning and timing.
Shockwave therapy is an option that treats a physiological cause and requires no planning, pills, surgery, implants, and is non-invasive.
The ultimate goal of shockwave is to help you restore intimacy with your partner.