- On the same day of your vasectomy, you should go home and rest for the remainder of the day after the procedure. Minimize any kind of activity. Some men have no pain at all while many others have mild aches in the groin like being kicked in the nuts or abdomen. That’s because the testes originate from the abdomen as an embryo and share the same nerve supply. Anything in the scrotum may be perceived in the abdomen as well. This lasts on average for about 7 days, longer in some men (up to a 2-3 weeks).
- You will have only one small wound less than 1 cm after your procedure. It may be anywhere from the base of your penis to anywhere on your scrotum. With Premium Service, a thin layer of our specially formulated skin glue is applied that works immediately to help stop bleeding, helps prevent infection, and promotes healing of the wound faster. Apply the antibiotic ointment over the skin glue and apply gauze over top of both twice a day for the next 2 days. The skin glue will peel off after just a few hours (often same day) but will continue to work and the wound will generally seal in 2-3 days. A little bleeding from the wound is normal. Without the glue the wound will take about 7-10 days to heal.
- You may take a daily shower the next day.
- Book your two semen analyses as soon as possible after your procedure.
- For the first 48 hours, take 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol every 6 hours and ice the area regularly (30 min on, 30 min off). Tylenol instead of anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen is preferred because inflammation is a normal component of the initial healing process and we prefer not to interfere with it. If you have kidney problem, please let us know as you should not take any anti-inflammatories in this case.
- After 48 hours (on day 3), take 2 tablets of 200mg Ibuprofen (400mg total) every 6 hours no matter how good you feel as this will reduce the post-surgical inflammation. Do this for a minimum of five days. You may continue up to two weeks if desired. If you get side effects, then of course stop the pills.
- Remember no sex or ejaculation for 7 days. This avoids disrupting the surgical site. Blood in the semen within the first month or two after a vasectomy is normal and no cause for concern.
- For the first week, continue to avoid any exertion, exercise, extensive walking, climbing, jogging, or sports…you get the idea. In general, avoid lifting more than 15 lbs (including babies or children) in the first week. After one week, when pain and tenderness are minimal, you may return to your usual activity but on the first day back start off at ½ your usual workout.
- It is normal to have some discoloration of the skin (blue and black) around the puncture site a few days after your vasectomy. This will gradually go away.
- Some men will develop swelling and tenderness on one side or both after a few days or up to 3 months after a vasectomy. This is usually due to an exaggerated inflammatory response that is often normal and necessary for sperm recycling and re-absorption. It is managed effectively with Ibuprofen 600mg 3 times a day for 7 days.
- You might notice a lump on each side of your scrotum (sometimes up near the abdomen or pelvis) after your vasectomy for the new few weeks. That is he surgical site where we cut and sealed your vas. It usually feels like a knot the size of a pea and may swell to the size of a marble and be tender for a few weeks after the procedure but then becomes smaller and non-tender.
- After week 1, our Premium patients will be given a time to call us for your follow up. You will be told when on the day of your procedure. Otherwise a separate appointment is needed for you to come in for a follow up.
- At 2 and 3 months, conduct your semen checks as outlined below. Again, continue birth control until our doctors review your test results. Call 3 days after each test to ensure we have received the results. You will want to achieve 20 ejaculations within the first three months of your vasectomy to flush out the existing sperm in your reproductive tract. Once your two samples are completed, our Premium patients may call our office to go over the results of your semen analysis together. Otherwise another separate appointment is needed for follow up in our office once again to go over both of the results.
- Premium patients will have personal cell phone access to our physicians 24/7 for any issues up to one year which men find very convenient; otherwise for all non-emergent issues furthers appointments in the office can be booked when space permits.
An important note regarding your post-vasectomy semen analysis
Locations of all labs available are attached and you should call the one nearest you.
Please abstain from sex for two days before you collect your specimen.
While you can bring your specimen to any medical laboratory in BC, please call the lab of your choice immediately after your procedure to confirm they can accept your semen analysis and book appointments (they may send you to a different lab). When dropping off your sample, you must bring your lab forms with you or they will not accept your sample.
Collect the semen by masturbation directly into a sealed, sterile specimen container. If you lose a portion of the semen, throw the container out and collect your specimen at another time. If you’ve misplaced the container, please get another one – ask for a urine analysis container. Please do not use any other type of container.
Drop it off
Close the container tightly. Label it with your first and last name, date of birth, plus the date and time you produced the sample. Deliver your specimen to the laboratory immediately (within 30 minutes) after collection, keeping the container warm in your pocket or next to your body en route.
Three days after dropping off your specimen, please call us to ensure we have the results. If you purchased our Premium Package, we will be able to discuss the results with you over the phone. Otherwise, you will need to book an appointment to come in and review your results as MSP only allows us to bill for in office appointments.