Circumcision for Adult Men
There are a number of reasons why men may choose an adult circumcision procedure.
Some require circumcision as a cure for conditions like phimosis (an overly tight foreskin) while others choose circumcision for cosmetic and personal reasons.
Features of our adult circumcision procedure include local anaesthetic, quick surgical technique, and skin glue closure.
No hospital visit or doctor’s referral is required, and all procedures are done here in our Vancouver clinic locations.
Please contact us anytime with your questions or to book a pre-surgery consultation.
Circumcision at Any Age
We are also often asked; “Am I too old to get circumcised?” and the answer is almost invariably “no”. Men and youth of all ages can have the surgery in our clinic. The most common age range for adult circumcision is 20 – 40 years old, but the procedure is regularly performed on a larger age range as requested for medical and personal reasons.
The medical team at Pollock Clinics is experienced at circumcising men of all ages.
Please contact us today with your inquiry. You can also use the cost confirmation form to request more information.
The Adult Circumcision Process – Two Methods
Our team and our internal procedures are optimized to deliver care to men requiring circumcision.
We perform two methods of circumcision at Pollock Clinics – mogen clamp circumcision using the Pollock Technique™and Shang Ring Circumcision. Both provide equally good cosmetic results.
With either method, you will receive detailed written instructions for post-surgery care as well as consult one-on-one with the doctor. Healing times are relatively the same.
Our doctors will determine which procedure will be best for you.
Our team is available after surgery as required to answer your questions and to react quickly should there ever be any problems.
Need more info about adult circumcision? Book a consultation now.
Pollock Technique™ Circumcision
This method uses a combination of local anesthetic and quick surgical technique, with the mogen clamp and use of skin glue.
With the skin glue closure method, we have been able to obtain improved cosmetic outcomes without suture track marks in the mucosa and skin.
In addition, glue closure is faster than sutures.
Please contact us today for more information.
Shang Ring Circumcision
Shang Ring is quick, virtually painless and bloodless procedure also providing a sutureless circumcision without track marks.
This method was developed in China through the backing of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Our doctors have traveled to China to train in this technique and are the first Canadian doctors that we know of to offer this in North America.
Conveniently, dressing changes are not needed with the Shang Ring – and no skin glue is required.
The Shang Ring consists of two concentric medical grade plastic rings: an inner ring with a silicone band and an outer, hinged ring that acts as a ligature. The Shang Ring is removed after one week.
The advantages of the Shang Ring procedure may be benefits in your case, or our doctor’s may recommend Pollock Technique™ circumcision. In either case your procedure will be performed by an experienced doctor with a close follow-up post procedure.
Which Procedure is Right for You?
Our doctors will evaluate your case and determine which adult circumcision method is best in your situation. Both of our techniques will deliver a good result, and the decision will be made based on our physician’s experience and professional judgement.
Some patients have a preference but given that the end result is the same the recommended approach is to let the doctor decide the circumcision technique most applicable to your procedure.
Pre Operative Instructions for Adult Circumcision
Pre-operative instructions are the same for both Shang Ring and Pollock Technique™ procedures
- For one week prior to your surgery date, do not take any Aspirin, Anticoagulants (warfarin) or Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, Advil, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, or Diclofenac. These medications will thin your blood.
- Two business days prior to your appointment, please call our office to confirm your circumcision at 604-717-6210.
- Please avoid any alcohol 2 days before and after the procedure.
- Please shave your pubic hair the day before the procedure as best as you can to save time.
- On the day of your surgery eat before your procedure (a normal breakfast or lunch) as those who don’t are more likely to become lightheaded.
- Please take a shower with soap and water the day of your procedure.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before for your appointment. You may drive yourself to and from the clinic after your procedure, although you may choose to have a driver if that makes you more comfortable, especially if you have a history of easily fainting.
- Wear light clothing because it will be warm in the room and wear clothes you won’t mind getting some iodine on.
- When you are in one of the surgical rooms, you will not be required to fully undress; you just need to lower your pants, lie back on the table and relax.
- You are now ready for your circumcision.
- You are welcome to bring and listen to any music/podcast or watch any programming or play any games on your mobile device during the procedure.
- If you have any questions, feel free to discuss with the doctor during your procedure.
Call Us to Book
Or For Any Questions
Adult Circumcision FAQ
LEARN MORE ABOUT
Post-Operative Instructions for Adult Circumcision
For Pollock Technique™ (Mogen clamp) procedures only
- For the first 24 hours, you will go home with a bandage wrapped around your penis. Do not try to re-wrap it in the first 24 hours. You will see the physician the next 1 – 2 days to ensure there is no major swelling that requires re-bandaging.
- On post op day 2, we will remove your bandage and re-wrap the penis.
- For two weeks after your procedure you need to apply the dressing yourself twice a day. First take the gauze with the hole in the middle and apply Vaseline around the hole and apply it to the penis. The penis goes through the hole. Then take the coban tape (brown dressing) to wrap the gauze around the penis.
- You may shower the next day as long as your penis is covered with plastic or a waterproof covering, unless a physician indicates otherwise. Make sure the harsh stream of the shower does not hit your penis. You may take a regular shower after one week.
- Do not go swimming in a lake or public pool until you are completely healed which is usually around 5-6 weeks.
- Do not take part in any intensive activities.
- Do not have sex (or masturbate) until you are completely healed (around 6 weeks).
- Try not to allow your penis to dangle freely. Tightly fitted briefs are recommended to keep the penis upright.
- In the event that you experience mild pain (including during an erection), especially in the first few days after the circumcision, over-the-counter pain medications such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used for pain relief. We generally advise acetaminophen 1000 mg plus ibuprofen 400 mg 3 times a day for 5 days. If the pain is excessive, contact our office for further advice.
- Five to seven days after your circumcision, you will return to the office for another follow up, then every two weeks thereafter.
- A distended bladder often triggers erections. To avoid nocturnal erections, minimize fluid intake after 6pm and urinate before going to bed. You may want to set a time in the middle of the night to urinate. Applying ice is often helpful to reduce any nocturnal erections that occur.
Post operative instructions for Shang Ring only
- When you are back at home, rest until you have gotten used to having the Shang Ring in place.
- Do not try to remove or re-position the Shang Ring yourself.
- Keep the circumcised area clean and dry. This will promote proper healing. When you urinate, use tissue to dab the final few drops from the penis afterwards to prevent urine from seeping into the circumcision area, which might result in infection.
- After the day of circumcision, you may shower as long as you carefully dry the penis and Shang Ring afterward. Do not go swimming or wash in a bathtub.
- Do not take part in any intensive activities to avoid dislocating the ring. If you sweat heavily, be sure to clean and dry your body immediately, to keep the wound from becoming infected, which would delay healing.
- Do not have sex (or masturbate) while the Shang Ring is in place.
- Try not to allow your penis to dangle freely and keep it upright. Tightly fitted briefs are recommended to keep the penis from drooping downward and to keep the ring in place and avoid skin abrasion.
- In the event that you experience mild pain (including during an erection), especially in the first few days after the circumcision, over-the-counter pain medications such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used for pain
relief. We generally advise acetaminophen 1000 mg plus ibuprofen 400 mg 3 times a day for 5 days. If the pain is excessive, contact our office for further advice.
- You may experience slight swelling around the Shang Ring. This is normal, so long as it does not cause you too much discomfort. You can apply ice to your penis to reduce swelling.
- Five to seven days after your circumcision, you will return to the office to have the Shang Ring removed. Please take a 15-minute bath the day of your scheduled removal to help make it easier to remove. Do not try to remove the Shang Ring yourself or re-position the ring. We will freeze the penis once again prior to ring removal.
- A distended bladder often triggers erections. To avoid nocturnal erections, minimize fluid intake after 6pm and urinate before going to bed. You may want to set a time in the middle of the night to urinate. Applying ice or taking a cold shower is often helpful to reduce any nocturnal erections that occur.
- After the Shang Ring is removed do not shower for 5 days. You will be wrapping a bandage over the wound for 7 days. After that, continue to apply vaseline onto the wound for one week.
- The wound will look “open”. This is normal. There will be white and yellow discharge that looks like “pus”. This is also normal. We often add a few anchor sutures to reduce the risk of wound dehiscence.
- No sex or masturbation for another 4 weeks.
No Referral Needed